Wednesday, July 26, 2017

Cognitive Learning Theory, Graphic Organizers, and Virtual Field Trips
By: Cristina Stratton

School is not in session for two more weeks, so in order to complete this assignment, I met with two of my former second grade students today, Grace and Shirley, at a local ice cream shop. They are preparing to enter third grade very soon. I explained to the girls that teachers are always learning, too, and that I am currently in college again, working on my Master’s degree. I brought along my laptop and asked them to help me complete one of my assignments. They were so excited to participate and thought it was so funny that I was in school in the summertime and that I was being graded on this!
On my laptop, we watched a really cool virtual field trip called “All About Amphibians,” presented by Siemens STEM Academy and the Smithsonian’s National Zoological Park. (I have attached a link to the virtual trip below.) Before starting the field trip, I asked some probing questions to see if the girls had any prior knowledge of amphibians. I was pleased that they recalled some information about the animal group that we had learned during the previous school year. I told the girls that as we watch the video, I wanted them to specifically pay close attention to the four different types of amphibians described in the video. Together, as a small group, we ate our ice cream and watched each of the field trip’s segments to learn about a wide range of amphibians from around the world. We watched scientists explain why amphibians are important, why they are being studied, and the threats facing amphibians in the wild.  We took breaks after each segment to discuss and review what we had just watched.
The objective of the lesson was for my students to understand and describe the characteristics of different types of amphibians. After we watched each segment of the field trip, I would minimize the video and pull up the concept map graphic organizer that I made using “Lucidchart” software on my computer. (The link to the completed graphic organizer is below).  The students told me what to type in each bubble on the organizer. If we had been in a classroom setting, I could have had this  graphic organizer projected onto the SmartBoard, and the students could have written their ideas in the bubbles themselves. Or, perhaps they could have had their own Ipad with this graphic organizer open, and they could have been recording their ideas simultaneously while we watched the field trip. Even though I was not able to incorporate these other technologies, the organizer was sufficient and worked really well as a way for me to assess what the students were learning from the virtual field trip.  Since I was in charge of typing their responses for them, the pace of the lesson was quick, and the students stayed really engaged. They were impressed with how I was able to so easily record their responses into the word bubbles. Once completed, we reviewed each of the 4 categories of amphibians, and it was clear that the girls were able to clearly answer my essential question, which asked, “what are the defining characteristics of each type of amphibian?”
            Every year, I teach about animal groups in my second grade science class. This virtual field trip and concept map will be an excellent addition to my instruction. In addition, I created a Venn diagram using Lucidchart, which is comparing and contrasting the frog and the toad. (I have also attached this link below). Grace and Shirley helped me fill in the circles on the organizer, but in the classroom, I would again, let the students complete the work themselves either on the Smartboard, an Ipad, or with a pencil and paper.  These graphical tools will help my students connect with the content that I am teaching by organizing and linking their ideas. These graphic organizers, created with technology are just an example of how I incorporate components of the Cognitive Learning Theory into my instruction.

Important Links:
All About Amphibians” Virtual Field Trip:

Lucidchart Concept Map:

Lucidchart Venn Diagram:





No comments:

Post a Comment