Friday, July 21, 2017

Behaviorist Learning Theory, Instructional Strategies, and Technology Tools

“Behaviorist techniques have long been employed in education to promote behavior that is desirable and discourage that which is not. Among the methods derived from behaviorist theory for practical classroom application are contracts, consequences, reinforcement, extinction, and behavior modification” (Orey, 2001).  In modern day classrooms, many teachers are still using instructional strategies and behavior management methods that derive from behaviorist theory.  In my own 2nd grade classroom, I control and monitor behavior using a clip behavior chart system, I write behavior contracts, and I provide rewards and reinforcement in several ways.  These strategies all were inspired by behaviorist techniques. Reinforcing effort and providing meaningful recognition are important behaviorist ideas. Utilizing the most recent technology tools in conjunction with behaviorist instructional strategies will enhance students’ motivation for learning and their understanding of the relationship between effort and achievement (Pitler, Hubbell, & Kuhn, 2012).

“Technology helps students and teachers better track the effects of effort and provide more immediate feedback to students” (Pitler, Hubbell, & Kuhn, 2012). One instructional strategy that I wish to try and incorporate in my upcoming Genius Hour lesson is an effort rubric, created in a Google Docs spreadsheet. Pitler, Hubbell, & Kuhn (2012) suggest that rubrics and spreadsheets help students make the connection between their effort and achievement. I will have a discussion with my class about what effort will clearly look like as we research and prepare our presentations for Genius Hour. Together, the students and I will create an effort rubric, making sure that they have a clear understanding of each category. Using this spreadsheet, my students will be able to track their effort weekly, as they complete their passion project. This strategy, based on a behaviorist approach of reinforcement, would allow my students to see how their grade is affected by how much effort they put forth in their work.  Allowing students to track their effort is a systematic and consistent approach that allows students to take more responsibility for their own success (Pitler, Hubbell, & Kuhn, 2012). 

Another way teachers can implement the behaviorist approach in their classroom while utilizing technology is through providing recognition. In order to work effectively, the recognition and praise selected must be specific and aligned with the expected performance and desired behaviors (Pitler, Hubbell, & Kuhn, 2012).  I appreciated the abundance of suggestions from our course text about using technology tools to provide meaningful recognition.  I already provide my students with personalized certificates and awards at the end of a marking period to support a job well done. I was not aware of the free certificate generators or badge generators available online. I will, going forth, utilize these types of websites to help my students feel more motivated, appreciated, and recognized for their success.  Technology provides a way to take the behaviorist principals of recognition and reinforcement to new levels. “Posting exceptional student work on the Internet opens up possibilities for recognition from friends, peers, professionals, and relatives across the globe” (Pitler, Hubbell, & Kuhn, 2012).  I already use ClassDojo to showcase exceptional student work through photographs and work samples. This school year, I plan to implement the new student-led digital portfolio options on ClassDojo. This will be one additional way I will help my students take pride and ownership in their learning while giving them access to digital tools that foster communication, positive reinforcement, and meaningful recognition for their efforts and achievements.

“Using behaviorist theory in the classroom can be rewarding for both students and teachers. Behavioral change occurs for a reason; students work for things that bring them positive feelings, and for approval from people they admire” (Orey, 2001). Within my classroom, I am additionally using the behaviorist theory approach through the instructional, interactive educational games I give my students access to in learning centers.  I currently subscribe to a learning website called MobyMax.com that students can access at school and at home for extra practice and support. “MobyMax” reinforces the content that I am teaching in the classroom. It differentiates lessons across the curriculum, based on my student’s performance, in various learning modules.  It awards them for effort and achievement with awards, digital trophies, and time to unlock and play fun arcade-like games. Educational game websites, like MobyMax.com provide recognition for achieving certain levels and are a fun and motivating way to help students practice basic skills and learn key concepts (Pitler, Hubbell, & Kuhn, 2012).  Another great example of instructional media that I already utilize that supports a behaviorist approach is the website Brainpopjr.com. My grade-level partner and I share a subscription to this website because it provides hundreds of short educational movies spanning across all the content areas. Each movie is followed by an online quiz that students can take to show their understanding. “Practicing with multimedia allows students to shape the experience to their individual learning style and increase their level of understanding to mastery” (Pitler, Hubbell, & Kuhn, 2012).  

“Effective teachers model and apply the ISTE Standards as they design, implement, and assess learning experiences to engage students and improve learning” (International Society for Technology in Education, 2016). In my classroom, students are using technology like “BrainPop Jr.” to actively demonstrate competency, seek feedback to inform and improve their learning, and to demonstrate their knowledge in a variety of ways (ISTE, 2016). Furthermore,  “MobyMax” provides positive reinforcement by rewarding students with new digital awards, trophies, and access to fun games when they have accomplished levels of learning.  By providing my students access to instructional, interactive games, I am designing and developing their learning experiences to address their diverse learning needs and abilities through the use of digital tools (ISTE, 2008).  Additionally, my usage of “ClassDojo” as a communication tool, a showcase of student work, and a method for students to receive positive recognition and reinforcement, is supported by the ISTE Standards. ClassDojo allows my students to model digital age work and learning through collaboration with students, peers, and parents, using digital tools to support success an innovation (ISTE, 2008). MobyMax, BrainPop Jr. and ClassDojo are wonderful online programs that have revolutionized the way I teach and integrate technology for learning. All three instructional tools provide my students with practice of basic skills and concepts, as well as positive reinforcement with immediate feedback, all of which have implications from a behaviorist learning perspective.

             In this week's discussion, I researched three additional sources that gave many insights into behaviorist learning theory in the classroom. For my popular source, I read a blog post entitled, ClassDojo and the Measurement and Management of Growth Mindsets, by Ben Williamson. As an avid user of ClassDojo in my own classroom, and as the ClassDojo Mentor of my school, I was interested to find that ClassDojo is an educational technology informed by the behaviorist theory that “desirable” classroom behaviors can be reinforced and reproduced through reward systems (Williamson, 2016). The blog posting cites a research study conducted by Michael Burger (2015) which concludes that just as behaviorists “believed a reinforcement (whether positive or negative) could influence how individuals act in the future, so ClassDojo was designed as a classroom management tool designed to reinforce students’ behaviors in order to get them to repeat behaviors that earn positive reinforcements and refrain from ones that earn negative reinforcements.” When I teach my Genius Hour lesson in my second grade classroom, I plan to use ClassDojo to reinforce the positive behaviors I want my students to show when researching their topics of interest.  I have created positive reinforcement buttons like “on-task”, “participating”, “persistence”, “teamwork”, and “working hard” in my ClassDojo dashboard. As I see students exhibiting these desirable behaviors during Genius Hour, I will award them “DojoPoints” in these areas.

          Another popular source I researched was an article by Marisa Karamida (M.Ed.) entitled, Behaviorism in Instructional Design for eLearning: When and How to Use.  Karamida (2015) explains that there are several ways that behaviorism can be applied in today’s instructional design for eLearning and provides examples of appropriate eLearning activities. When students are engaged in online learning that requires them to discriminate, generalize, associate, and sequence events, they are participating in exercises based on behaviorist principles (Karamida, 2015). Furthermore Karamida (2015) states that behaviorist principles are applicable in presenting material through a game design that she calls “gamification”. This approach is entertaining, motivating, and engages the audience throughout the learning process. Many of the technology-rich lessons that I create for my classroom use a game-like approach on the Smartboard. Before a test in any subject area, I create an interactive “Jeopardy” style review game using Smart Notebook software. My students work collaboratively and use buzzers to chime-in and compete against the other teams.  My students love earning points for correct responses and try to earn a digital trophy at the end of the game for correctly answering the most review questions. This example shows how I use “gamification” in my classroom to engage and motivate my students in learning while reinforcing certain desired behaviors.

A third scholarly source I reviewed compares and contrasts Behaviorism and Constructivism, as it is applicable for 21st century learners. Through examining research on both of these educational theories and by providing realistic solutions for instruction, Paul Sidney (2015) suggests blending aspects of both theories for learners in this technological century. Sidney (2015) concludes that “a blended perspective of behaviorist and constructivist learning theories creates a combination of guided instruction, appropriate engagement and self regulated learning.” Sidney (2015) concludes that more research is needed because advancements in technology have rapidly changed the world of education. “Many of the challenges learners of today will face are not even known to them as technology will take learners to unknown heights” (Sidney, 2015). As the future of education moves more the direction of full integration of technology, educators will have to consider the older model of behaviorist perspective in conjunction with a modern constructivist approach (Sidney, 2015). As I have now thoroughly researched behaviorism in this learning module, I look forward to examining other learning theories like constructivism in future modules for this course. As an educator, it is important to understand the different learning theories in order to analyze how these concepts provide a foundation for the integration of educational technology in instructional practice. 

References
Burger, M.S., (2015). The perception of the effectiveness of classdojo in middle school
classrooms: A transcendental phenomenological study. Retrieved from
International Society for Technology in Education (ISTE). (2016). Standards for students.
International Society for Technology in Education (ISTE). (2008). Standards for teachers.
Keramida, M. (2015, May 28). Behaviorism in instructional design for eLearning: When and
Orey, M. (Ed.). (2001). Emerging perspectives on learning, teaching, and technology. Retrieved
Pitler, H., Hubbell, E. R., & Kuhn, M. (2012). Using technology with classroom instruction that
works (2nd ed.). Alexandria, VA: ASCD.
Sidney, P.F., (2015). Evaluating a behaviorist and constructivist learning theory for 21st century
learners. Georgia Educational Research Association Conference. 2017. Retrieved from http://digitalcommons.georgiasouthern.edu/gera/2015/2015/17
Williamson, B. (2016, March 10). ClassDojo and the measurement and management of growth



No comments:

Post a Comment