Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Welcome!

Hello everyone! Welcome to my new blog! I am very new to the world of blogging...so bear with me as I tinker and figure this all out!

Technology is everywhere, touching almost every part of our lives in this modern day. I have created this blog to learn more about how my fellow educators are incorporating technology in their classrooms.

Changes in technology in recent decades have greatly influenced the ways in which we work, play, and learn. Today’s students are growing up in a digital age and technology is an essential part of their daily lives. However, schools have been slow to keep up with the fast-paced change of today’s technology.  I teach in a poverty-stricken urban district where our classrooms are frequently lacking in technology resources for student learning. Therefore, I have made it my main objective to design and develop a learning environment that integrates various technology tools and applications to enrich students’ learning experiences. I want to learn as much as possible about the uses of technology in schools to create a more effective, motivational, and technologically advanced learning environment for my students.

Technology is always evolving, advancing and changing, thus, we need to continually keep up to date with the latest and greatest in the field of technology. As new and emerging technologies transform the landscape of education, the possibilities for learning and discovery grow exponentially (Laureate Education, 2008). I invite you to take part in the technological revolution by examining the evolution of technology in society and its impact on education. Integrating technology into our classrooms will help students acquire the 21st century skills they need to survive in this complex, highly technological, knowledge-based society.

Please use this blog space to share your own experiences and ideas about technology incorporation in your classroom. I look forward to collaborating and sharing best practices with other teachers who are passionate about education.

Thanks, Cristina

3 comments:

  1. I agree that the students of today live in a technology driven world. They rely on it so much that sometimes their problem-solving skills are compromised. However, this "technology revolution" is the new way of the world, and there is no way around it. How are you going to find the resources your class needs to succeed? I know that is a problem in my school. Teachers hog the computer lab, causing the resources to never be readily available when you need them in the classroom.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for your question. Finding and utilizing resources is always a challenge.

    My school has a computer lab, but the computers are so old and outdated, and they frequently are not operational. Sad really.

    I have four PCs in my classroom. I find it easier to just use these computers on a rotation. It is easier to manage kindergarteners in small groups as opposed to whole class.

    I actually bring in my own technology frequently. I use my own IPad, IPhone, laptop, and digital camera.

    I have a SMART board and projector that I use daily.

    I am looking into writing a grant for an ELMO.

    Even though we are apart of this “technology revolution”, I think we have to remember to not always be so dependant on technology. We should try to utilize technology as much as we possibly can, but always have a back-up plan for when technology is not available or fails us.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree that technology is constantly changing and we must help students learn to use many of the different tools but like you mentioned, my school cannot afford to buy the necessary tools. I am lucky enough to be part of a state grant. I am in a huge district and 7 classrooms, in only 2 schools out of more than 20 schools got to be outfitted with technology. This leaves many kids getting literally nothing. Nobody uses our computer lab very often because nobody has been trained in the latest technology. Teachers also often feel overwhelmed with all the things that need to be taught and without training may not understand how to use technology how to do something they already do. I am grateful to have the opportunity to have technology. It really adds a new excitement to learning for the kids and for me.! Have you every thought about applying for grants so you don't have to use your own personal equipment?

      Delete